TITLE: Strategic Communications Advisor
DUTY STATION: Islamabad (with frequent travel to Merged Areas)
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Consultancy
NO OF POSITIONS: 01 Position
DURATION: 132 days
Over the last decade, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa’s Merged Areas have experienced security challenges and large-scale population displacements. Since 2014, a combination of military operations and political reform process culminated in the merger of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas into neighboring Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. The merger, one of the most consequential political reforms in Pakistan’s 70-year history, is an unprecedented extension of constitutional rights and governance structures to 5 million of the poorest people in Pakistan.
The reform process includes the introduction of constitutional rights, elected local governments, rule of law institutions, and empowered legislature, fundamentally changing the relationship between the citizen and the state. In this context, strong narratives around the transformation of governance structures will be of paramount importance to the success of the integration and reform process. The importance of this role is underlined by the genuine is a real and genuine risk of backlash and the formation of counternarratives against the integration process.
In this regard, UNDP Pakistan is looking for a Strategic Communications Advisor to support the Government in informing the citizenry about the dividends of the reforms process and for accruing plaudits on the reforms achieved. Moreover, the Advisor will be supporting in managing the citizenry’s expectation of the reforms process. The responsibilities of the Advisor will also include supporting the Government in generating public awareness and support for various reform facets including governance, rule of law, and economic reforms.
The Strategic Communications Advisor will be looking for the Strategic Communication component of the Merged Areas Governance Project and will be responsible for the implementation of Qabail Led Development(QLD) in the Merged Areas, Coordination and relationship building with the Provincial as well as Federal government, implementation of COVID-19 awareness campaign through TV and radio channels at Regional and National level as well as through community sensitization. Knowledge Attitude Practices (KAP) and WASH surveys for assessing the impact of COVID-19 and communities practices regarding WASH, design the campaign on COVID-19 and WASH, the launch of unsung heroes project, public awareness on integration process and benefits of merger and support government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on its two-way communications initiatives. Action research on local issues at the district level, ensure mobilization of political interest at the district level.
The Communication Strategist will be responsible for the following tasks:
- To collaborate with communities, district administration, and UNDP and develop a comprehensive methodology for carrying out a research study about WASH practices and COVID-19 preventative measures in the MAs of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- Develop and implement a Communication Strategy on QLD in the Merged Areas.
- Design and implement the COVID-19 campaign in Merged Areas and KP through TV and radio.
- Design and implement the WASH- behavioral change campaign in the Merged Areas.
- Launch of unsung Heroes project.
- Action research on local issues at the district level, ensure mobilization of political interest at the district level.
- Coordination and relationship building with the Provincial and Federal government.
- Prepare action plans for managing public expectations around the integration process.
- Analyze public perception of the integration and reforms process and provide recommendations to improve it.
Skills and Competences:
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Makes effective use of UNDP’s resources and comparative advantage to strengthen partnerships
- Creates networks and promotes initiatives with partner organizations
Innovation and New Approaches
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking, especially for Fata reforms contexts
- Conceptualizes more effective approaches to program development and implementation
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Participating in the development of policies and innovative approaches and promoting their application throughout the organization
- Promotes UNDP as a learning/knowledge sharing organization, with a focus on Fata reforms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Possesses expert knowledge of advanced concepts in the primary discipline, a broad knowledge of related disciplines, as well as in-depth knowledge of relevant organizational policies and procedures, with expertise in reforms contexts
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself personally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Anticipates constraints in the delivery of services and identifies solutions
- Proactively identifies, develops, and discusses solutions for clients
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Promoting effective teams
- Very good communication skills. Ability to express clearly and concisely in both written and oral forms
- Transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
- Ability to be flexible and react to changing circumstances, e.g. security situation
- The candidate must have a Master’s level or above degree in Communication or a relevant subject;
- The candidate must possess the following experience:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in Communication / Public Outreach;
- Expertise in perception/narrative change communication;
- Significant experience working with a government or multi-lateral organization;
- Excellent communication skills, flawless writing, and editing.
- International expertise and working for international organizations;
- Experience in KP/Ex-FATA (Merged Areas) is a significant asset.
- Fluency (oral and written) in English is required. Knowledge of the Urdu language will be an asset.
Deliverables and Payment Terms
- Excellent opportunities to develop your technical skills in a policy environment alongside national and international experts
- Competitive market salary
- International work environment
- Women-friendly workplace