*Prepare engineering designs, specifications, costs and quantity estimates of public work projects; obtain required easements or permits for streets and light department, water and sewer system construction, water, storm water and wastewater treatment facilities, and utility structures.
* Provide engineering support to development review process, including support during hearings, pre-application conferences and planning commission meetings.
* Prepare requests for proposals and bids; review contract bids and proposals; assist in the coordination and review of consultants design work.
* Review and check adequacy and accuracy of computations, preliminary layout and design work from the field and survey data.
* Act as a project engineer; research applicable codes, regulations and requirements for assigned project; develop engineering plans and compile preliminary layout of plans; write specifications for plans; coordinate required advertising for bids; perform construction management; advise contractor(s) and construction inspectors during actual construction.
* Review developer plans and specifications within scope of knowledge for the appropriate design of public works projects and compliance with standards.
* Oversee automated computer design and mapping projects performed by subordinate personnel to assure accuracy and compliance with laws, design criteria, and plan specifications.
* Provide engineering support for G.I.S.
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
** QUALIFICATIONS & Knowledge of:
* Principles and practices of civil and structural engineering
* Pertinent federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations including civil engineering laws and regulations.
* Principles and practices of street, water, storm water and wastewater treatment facilities, and light departments. * Principles and practices of pavement management and design.
* Terminology, methods, practices and techniques used in technical civil engineering report and project estimate preparation.
* Recent developments, current literature, and sources of information regarding civil engineering.
* Principles and practices of project and construction management.
* Modern office procedures, methods, and computer equipment.
** Ability to:
* Resolve regulatory, public relations and system design questions.
* Manage engineering projects.
* Ensure project compliance with appropriate federal, state and local rules, laws and regulations.
* Monitor phases of construction projects and prepare progress reports.
* Conduct comprehensive engineering studies and develop appropriate recommendations.
* Perform technical research and solve multi-disciplinary engineering problems.
* Ability to take initiative, think creatively and work independently.
* Develop, review and modify civil or structural engineering plans, designs, and specifications.
* Exercise professional engineering judgment to achieve results consistent with objectives.
* Use personal computer and appropriate computer software programs.
* Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.