1) Inspect food preparation and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, sanitary food-handling practices.
2) Turn or stir foods to ensure even cooking.
3) Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
4) Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
5) Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
6) Portion, arrange, and garnish food, and serve food to waiters or patrons.Regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters.
8) Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
9) Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
10) Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
11) Estimate expected food consumption; then requisition or purchase supplies, or procure food from storage.
12) Carve and trim meats such as beef, veal, ham, pork, and lamb for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches.
13) Coordinate and supervise work of kitchen staff.
14) Consult with supervisory staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs.
15) Butcher and dress animals, fowl, or shellfish, or cut and bone meat prior to cooking.
16) Bake breads, rolls, cakes, and pastries.
18) Keep records and accounts.
19) Plan and price menu items.
Strong knowledge of different types of meats and their cooking times
• Well versed in planning menus, establishing size of food portions, estimating food requirements and costs, and watch and order supplies
• Exceptional understanding of preparing food for cooking and adding appropriate seasoning
• Highly experienced in performing food quality inspections to ensure that all food items conform to hygiene standards
• Well-honed aesthetic skills aimed at arranging and presenting food in a manner pleasing to the eye
• Solid knowhow of carving and preparing different types of meats for broiling, frying and steaming
• Excellent understanding of mixing the right amount of ingredients according to weight and type
• Strong knowledge of operating industry sized ovens and cooking ranges
• Knowledge of preparing different types of cuisines, relishes and salads
• Highly experienced in performing preventative and general maintenance on kitchen equipment
• Hands-on experience in handling cooking staff efficiently and directing it to ensure handling of kitchen functions
• Track record of following best hygiene and sanitation practices aimed at providing quality food services
• Absolute flexibility aimed at trying and testing new recipes in order to add new items to existing menus
• Ability to prepare specialized health food items
• Strong background of handling kitchen functions such as supplies and inventory management and cooking staff schedules and records
• Highly skilled in preparing and cooking complete meals and particular dishes and foods
• In-depth knowledge of preparing and cooking special meals for patients as initiated by dietitian or chef
• Demonstrated ability to set up and supervise buffets
• Able to maintain accurate inventory and records of food, supplies and utensils
• Committed to maintain a clean kitchen and work area